Monday, April 19, 2010

Time for a survey

Millie and Kate have created a really cool survey: http://classicforever.blogspot.com/2010/04/kate-and-millies-brilliantly-insane.html.
So I thought I would take it instead of completing homework because its fun-factor is considerably higher.

Which actors do you always (or did you always) mix-up? (For example: Millie's tendency to confuse William Powell and Clark Gable when she was a thirteen, er, four year-old? Yes, I am talking in the third person.)

This is going to sound weird, but a few years ago when I was starting out with classic films, I'd get Rita Hayworth and Jean Harlow confused, because of their slightly similar sounding surnames. And also Hedy Lamarr and Gene Tierney because...?

Gidget or Beach Party?

I haven't seen either, but I'm growing more curious of each. I caught a little of Gidget on tv once though, so I'd lean more towards that one for the moment.

Favorite Movie Outfit?

Tough decision. I love this dress from Gigi:

But it could also have been the blue dress Grace Kelly wears in To Catch a Thief when she first kisses Cary Grant at her hotel door.
If you could be ANY character in ANY movie...who would you choose?

Any of the screwball heroines, like Susan Vance in Bringing Up Baby. Just to be so blissfully nuts.

If you could marry ANY character in ANY movie...who would you choose? (Excluding any Dana Andrews' characters. Seriously. ;-D)


William Powell in most any of his romantic comedies, but especially his films with Myrna Loy. He's witty, charming and just a touch wacky.

If you could live in ANY movie...which would you choose?

I wouldn't mind inhibiting those technicoloured Danny Kaye-Virginia Mayo film worlds like Wonder Man.

Black & White movies you wish were in Technicolor, or vice-versa?

It wasn't a good film to begin with, but maybe technicolour could have lifted up the musical West Point Story.

Favorite Movie Soundtrack?

I love the Ghost and Mrs Muir soundtrack. Very dreamy.

Favorite Movie Dance Sequence?

The hardest question I could ever be asked? What to choose? I love Fred and Ginger's Hard to Handle routine Roberta because it looks so spontaneous and candid. It's infectiously happy.

Coolest Movie Star? (Cough, cough, BOBBY DARIN, cough, cough)

Marcello Mastrioanni, the very definition in 8 1/2.

Sophia or Gina (Oh, how Kate enjoys replaying Gina's sad defeat OVER AND OVER!)

I used to not like Sophia, but she's growing on me so I'll pick her. But really, I need to see more films of both.

"Isn't It Romantic" in most Billy Wilder films, or "Red River" in most John Ford films?

I've seen more Billy Wilder films and 'Isn't it Romantic' makes me happy, if that's what the question means.

If you could re-cast ANY role in ANY movie, what would it be?

Why isn't an answer coming to me? I'm sure I've thought about this numerous of times, but I'll coming up blank right now.

When I was watching Designing Woman with Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall, I did have the slight wish that Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn - if the film had been made when they were a bit younger - had been cast instead. It would have been kinda cool if they had been together in a Vincente Minelli-directed film...

One movie that should NEVER be remade? (under THE THREAT OF A SLOW, PAINFUL DEATH!)

It would be sacrilege to remake Casablanca.

Actor or Actress who you would love to be best friends with? Are you an Oscar or a Felix?

Probably leaning towards Felix.

Actor/Actress you originally hated and now love?
I didn't like Norma Shearer until a while ago. I thought she was bland, having only seen The Women (I need to get back to that film...). But then I saw The Barretts of Wimpole Street and everything changed.

Also, Leslie Howard. I thought he was the weak link in Gone With the Wind, and from there I held the belief he wasn't much of an actor. Then I saw Pygmalion and saw that in an interesting role, Leslie could rise to the occasion. Then came a succession of Leslie Howard films and my opinion did a 360.

Favorite performance that was looked over by Oscar? (Not to be confused with the aforementioned Oscar of Felix fame.)

I think Laurence Olivier should have been nominated for Carrie. One of those performances where the actor really sinks into the character. I think it's very underrated.

Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie?

Probably Bewitched. Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York and Agnes Moorehead equals a great formula. Though it does get a bit repetitive.

Favorite Style Icon: Fred Astaire or Cary Grant?

I love Fred and his scarf thing as belt look. And he's my favourite person in tails, so Fred by a little.

Single most favorite movie scene EVER?

In Stolen Kisses (1968), when Antoine (Jean-Pierre Leaud) proposes to Christine (Claude Jade) with a kitchen utensil. The simplicity of it just makes it moving.

Movie you really "should" see, but have subconsciously been avoiding for who knows what reason?

Lawrence of Arabia for one - its running time is intimdating though.
Really just mostly the epics - Ben Hur, Spartacus. Should get down to those.

50's Westerns or 60's Spies? (I can't even answer this myself...but you have to! MWAHAHAHA!)

60s spies are so mod, so I'll go with them. And yet all I can think of for 60s spy films is The Glass Bottom Boat. Does it even count?

Favorite splashy, colorful, obnoxious 50's musical?

I love lots of musicals, but favourite is An American in Paris - love all the songs and of course the ballet.

Favorite film setting (example: Rome, Paris, Seattle, Siberia, Chile, Sahara Desert, etc)

I like those faux European settings on the studio lot - like Top Hat's recreation of Venice. Quite a dreamland that only the films could conjure up.

If you could own the entire wardrobe of any film, which would it be?

Sabrina - that wardrobe's the epitome of chic.

Carol Burnette or Lucille Ball?

They're both funny ladies. Right now leaning towards Carol because I've been watching her skits on youtube. Plus, I loved her performance in A Wedding.

Favorite Voice. Ever. Period?

Right now it's Herbert Marshall. Love him.

Which actors would you want for relatives? (Mother, Father, Grandma, Crazy Aunt, annoying cousin, older brother, etc...)

Mother: Mary Astor in Meet Me in St. Louis. She's the only one coming to my head...Or Claudette Colbert in Since You Went Away.

Father: Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Zany Older Sister: Shirley Maclaine

Grandpa: Lionel Barrymore in You Can't Take it With You

Favourite Uncle and Aunt: William Powell and Myrna Loy

A French Uncle: (well I can dream) Charles Boyer

4 comments:

  1. holy moses how on earth did i forget to list myrna loy as an aunt!! this is a sad sad day. the ghost and mrs. muir score is incredible (ah! that opener!) and i would love to live on that top hat venice set. great choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, the thought of Myrna was there and that counts. :)
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all your answers! Thank you so much for taking the survey!

    Gawsh! I want Charles Boyer as a French uncle! Haha! And I LOVE that dress from Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Millie! You're welcome, it was a great survey!

    Haha, yes Charles Boyer would make a great uncle. :)

    ReplyDelete