Saturday, July 11, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

Just yesterday I somehow landed on Paul McCartney's imdb page (it was because on youtube I had seen a clip of him explaining the sorrow he felt after his wife Linda's death--which I had clicked on because Jerry Lewis also spoke in the clip, which featured a series of celebrities talking about sad times--ah, interesting isn't it how one thing leads to another?) and anyway, I then went to the pages of John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr and voila, I ended up with a craving to hear Beatles songs. Some I'd already heard and loved (Yesterday, Girl, Yellow Submarine, Hey Jude, I Am the Walrus), but there was one that I had never heard before and that I now love a lot, which is Strawberry Fields Forever. It has this sort of dreamy feel, when I listen to it I feel like I'm floating and then gently sinking and floating again, or something like that. It has a nice melody and I like the singing (I think for the most part it has Paul McCartney's vocals?).

I don't quite have a favourite Beatle yet, but I feel like I have a soft spot for Ringo Starr, to me he seems a little like the oddball of the group (and he was the last to join too) and to boot, he plays the drums (I'm kind of fond of drum players). But they're all pretty cool huh? I really want to see their first film, A Hard Day's Night, which is apparently pretty good. I don't know where to find it though. Maybe it'll land on my lap one day...

Probably my favourite Beatles song--alas I haven't heard them all--is Yesterday. I think it's very beautiful, kind of ballad-y and kind of heartbreaking too. I also really love Across the Universe, another beautiful song with a kind of soothing, lullaby sound. Great band!

No comments:

Post a Comment