Tuesday, August 25, 2009

film meme time

Ah these memes are great, pointless fun--and are perfect for those times when there are '50 others thing you must do first but have postponed in the name of distraction'. I found this one on http://www.thegirlinthecafe.com/2008/10/14/a-film-meme/ after google searching 'film meme'.

1. Name (a) film(s) that you have seen more than 10 times (cinema + home).

I don't know if there's a likelihood of this, but the film that comes closest to such an honour is:

+ Strictly Ballroom

2. Name a film that you’ve seen multiple times in the cinema.

Click (twice)

The Dark Knight (twice)

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a film.
all my favourite classic stars, but the two people who i would watch just about everything of are: Fred Astaire and Doris Day; and lately I'm feeling more and more inclined to watch everything Daniel Day-Lewis has done so far.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a film.

Adam Sandler (crude and lewd--so how did I watch Click twice? I don't know either); also I originally thought I'd become a big fan of Betty Grable's becaue she's so energetic and perky (kind of like Doris Day-ish), but I actually find her more annoying with every film I see of hers.

5. Name a film that you can and do quote from.

Strictly Ballroom! Ah I went through a whole stage where lines from that film would just run across my mind like song lyrics.

Also probably: Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's,

6. Name a film musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

Impossible--nevertheless parts of Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music are probably embedded in every person's brain.

7. Name a film that you have been known to sing along with.

Umm...if I sing it's usually in private, so nobody has known me to sing any song, but in my own time I do like singing Gershwin tunes (from no particular film).

8. Name a film that you would recommend everyone see.

Vertigo, Mon Oncle, A Matter of Life and Death, 8 1/2 <- these are what I call unique film experiences

9. Name a film that you own.

How about the first film I bought? Early on in my collection there was only Strictly Ballroom, Moulin Rouge, Shakespeare in Love and Edward Scissorhands. Now these titles are overwhelmed by classics.

11. Have you ever seen a film in a drive-in? If so, what?

Yes indeedy. King Kong (2005). I fell asleep mid-way though, but woke up in time to feel teary-eyed over the final scene. But boy, did the film have to be so long?

14. Ever walked out of a film?

I walked out and back in to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Needless to say I don't remember much of what happened in the film. Interestingly enough, I did the same thing this year with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, this time on the account of a bursting bladder. But I came rushing right back (I was actually enjoying this latest HP release--thankfully I saw most of the film and loved it).

15. Name a film that made you cry in the cinema.

Many, many. Million Dollar Baby, Cheaper By the Dozen 2 (yes an unusual choice), Marley & Me to name a few.

16. Popcorn?

Yes, and also choc-tops and coca-cola. But I don't really like eating at the cinema, too distracting.

17. How often do you go to the cinema (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

Once a month sometimes. I'd say I go roughly six times a year, which sounds like a disappointingly low figure.

18. What’s the last film you saw in the cinema?

Public Enemies. Johnny Depp's hot property these days, but the film fell a little short--I may be in the minority, but I actually wish they had scrapped the romantic subplot. Is it me or does every biopic these days have to have some romantic plot slapped on? Romance is best when it comes naturally, not when it feels like the film's trying to increase its appeal across the demographic.

19. What’s your favourite/preferred genre of film?

I like musicals, romantic comedies, romantic dramas, comedies in general, anything that makes me feel good--Powerful sad, tragic films are great every once in a while.

20. What’s the first film you remember seeing in the cinema?

Free Willy I think. I went with my parents and sister, all the way to the city by train. I don't remember much except bursts of images of that killer whale. I also saw Babe when I was pretty young and the scenes with those border collie dogs getting into an argument scared the beejeesus out of me. But it was a great film.

21. What film do you wish you had never seen?

Just last year, I don't know why now, I watched You Don't Mess With the Zohan. It was painful.

22. What is the weirdest film you enjoyed?

Nothing is really coming into my mind. Hang on, The Fly with Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum was pretty weird, disturbing and somewhat graphically violent (it's a horror film), yet somehow it was touching and sad. I think that's the weirdest mix of emotions I've ever felt towards the one film. Otherwise, there's Cries and Whispers, my first Ingmar Bergman film, and that was kind of off-centre but oh so intriguing. Jean-Luc Godard films can also be a bit of a weird experience in a good way, primarily because he deliberately never lets you really settle and connect to what is happening.

23. What is the scariest film you’ve seen?

The aforementioned The Fly. Also The Exorcist, and for a different kind of scary, there's Rosemary's Baby. Apart from one disturbing rape sequence (which isn't graphically disturbing though), the film is more psychologically disturbing rather than graphically disturbing. It was pretty suspenseful, but never actually shows the horror that you think it will show. It sort of applies that Hitchcockian idea that there's no fear in the shot of a gun, only in the anticipation of it.

24. What is the funniest film you’ve seen?

To Be or Not to Be is one. His Girl Friday is also a hoot (as are most Cary Grant comedies). Also What's Up Doc, My Man Godfrey...and more...

No comments:

Post a Comment